Organizational Development Grants is designed to help Winnipeg charitable organizations build their capacity for stability today and sustainability in the future.
- Organizational Development Grants are for registered charities that primarily benefit the citizens of Winnipeg.
- Your organization must have a Community Grants history with The Winnipeg Foundation in order to be eligible for an Organizational Development Grant.
- Your organization must have a registered charitable number from Canada Revenue Agency to apply for an Organizational Development Grant. (This number is required to access the online application form.)
- You may apply for one Organizational Development Grant per calendar year.
- Applying for an Organizational Development Grant does not preclude an organization from applying for a Community Grant or other Special Program grant in the same calendar year, but it must be for a different project.
The maximum grant request is $10,000. Types of projects include:
- Group mentorship – cohorts or organizations who commit to growing together as leaders under the guidance of a mentor
- Job shadowing – where the specific nature of an executive director’s work requires special knowledge transfer, for example in the case of a founding or long-serving executive director, or an organization where they are the sole staff member
- Communications planning*
- Fundraising or capital campaign planning*
- Human Resources planning or policy development*
- Strategic planning* – must include board and management
- Feasibility studies – includes, but is not limited to, social enterprise, mergers or shared resources with other agencies
- Evaluation – assessing program impact or establishing an evaluation framework
- Governance or board development – including training, policy development
- Imagine Canada accreditation – costs associated with pursuing accreditation
*Planning requests may include consultant’s fees and other costs related to the planning process. Does not include implementation of the plan.
Please review our Organizational Development Grants Policies & Guidelines [PDF] to ensure your project fits the criteria.
Application Due Date
Applications are accepted through our online application process on a continuous basis; please allow at least eight weeks for notification.
- Volunteer Manitoba
Offers a range of workshops and training on board governance, volunteer management, and organizational development such as grant-writing. It also hosts the Non-Profit Drop-In Centre, which provides access to meeting space, computers, a resource library, access to a funding database, and more!
Offers short term specific supports for non-profit organizations where non-profit organizations are matched with professional volunteers.
- United Way of Winnipeg
Provides small grants to strengthen governance and leadership, strategy and business planning, financial management and human resources. The United Way also offers a range of courses and services through its Non-Profit Learning Centre.
For more ideas, visit our Resources page!
Want to update your saved application? Go to your Account