Organizational Development Grants are designed to help Winnipeg charitable organizations build their capacity for stability today and sustainability in the future.
- Organizational Development Grants are for organizations that primarily benefit the citizens of Winnipeg.
- Your organization must have a Community Grants history with The Winnipeg Foundation in order to be eligible for an Organizational Development Grant.
- Your organization must have a registered charitable number from Canada Revenue Agency to apply for an Organizational Development Grant. (This number is required to access the online application form.)
- You may apply for one Organizational Development Grant per calendar year.
- Applying for an Organizational Development Grant does not preclude an organization from applying for a Community Grant or other Special Program grant in the same calendar year, but it must be for a different project.
The maximum grant request is $10,000. Types of projects include:
- Group mentorship – cohorts or organizations who commit to growing together as leaders under the guidance of a mentor
- Job shadowing – where the specific nature of an executive director’s work requires special knowledge transfer, for example in the case of a founding or long-serving executive director, or an organization where they are the sole staff member
- Communications planning*
- Fundraising or capital campaign planning*
- Human Resources planning or policy development*
- Strategic planning* – must include board and management
- Feasibility studies – includes, but is not limited to, social enterprise, mergers or shared resources with other agencies
- Evaluation – assessing program impact or establishing an evaluation framework
- Governance or board development – including training, policy development
- Imagine Canada accreditation – costs associated with pursuing accreditation
*Planning requests may include consultant’s fees and other costs related to the planning process. Does not include implementation of the plan.
Please review our Organizational Development Grants Policies & Guidelines [PDF] to ensure your project fits the criteria.
Application Due Date
Applications are accepted through our online application process on a continuous basis; please allow at least eight weeks for notification.
- Volunteer Manitoba
Offers a range of workshops and training on board governance, volunteer management, and organizational development such as grant-writing. It also hosts the Non-Profit Drop-In Centre, which provides access to meeting space, computers, a resource library, access to a funding database, and more!
Offers short term specific supports for non-profit organizations where non-profit organizations are matched with professional volunteers.
- United Way of Winnipeg
Provides small grants to strengthen governance and leadership, strategy and business planning, financial management and human resources. The United Way also offers a range of courses and services through its Non-Profit Learning Centre.
For more ideas, visit our Resources page!
NOTE: We are gradually bringing all of our programs onto our new grant application portal. For now, this program remains in our previous portal. This button will take your original account.
Want to update your saved Organizational Development Grant application? Go to your Account